- Best Amazon Image Guidelines – Technical
- Best Amazon Image Guidelines – Design
- Amazon Product Images – Best Practices
- Tips to Optimize Amazon Product Images
- Frequently Asked Questions
There has been a drastic increase in the size and operations of Amazon for the past two decades. There are so many satisfied customers that gladly pay for their prime membership and even pay above-market prices. Customers know that they can get anything using Amazon’s platform, even if the product is beyond the geographical limits of their region.
This also increases pressure on sellers to make their listings as appealing and engaging as possible. There are many ways to make an engaging Amazon listing that instantly catches the eyes of customers. However, product images are often disregarded or overlooked. Oftentimes, sellers forget that listing images are one of the first things customers see. This means that product images can prove to be a key tool to help sellers engage their customers and gain a competitive advantage over their rivals. Eye-catching product images can help sellers derive a higher yield.
Product images grab customer attention towards the listing so sellers need to be mindful of image size to ensure images are clearly visible. This article will focus on Amazon image dimensions and optimization.
Best Amazon Image Guidelines – Technical
So now comes the technical side for the best Amazon image dimension guidelines. Sellers must first focus their attention on the technicalities in the design and dimensions of the product image. They must adhere to the guidelines set out by Amazon and how they want the image to be.
Product images that are not on track with Amazon’s guidelines do not look great. Listings with such images reflect that sellers have overlooked image guidelines.
The following are some of the technical guidelines that sellers should keep in mind while selecting product images:
- As per Amazon’s recommendation, the dimensions should be greater than 1000 pixels on a single side.
- For the longest side of the image, Amazon suggests the minimum image dimensions equal to 500 pixels.
- Similarly, the maximum Amazon image dimensions should not exceed 10,000 pixels for the longest side of the image.
- So, it can be said that the Amazon suggested range is between 500 pixels to 10,000 pixels for a single side of the image.
- A 1:1 square image with dimensions 2000 x 2000 as recommended by Amazon.
- Amazon allows an aspect ratio of 5:1 given these optimized dimensions.
- The zoom abilities start for Amazon product images when the image is 500 pixels on the shortest side and 1000 pixels on the longest side.
- The maximum file size for each image is limited to 10 MB.
- A best practice is to crop the photo, keeping the white space limited so that the product’s size can be maximized.
- Always remember to compress your product image; Amazon will also compress it once the image is uploaded.
- Remember that these requirements apply to all product images on Amazon.
Best Image Size for Amazon
The best dimensions for product images on Amazon is 2000×2000 pixels with an aspect ratio of 1:1.
Best Amazon Image Guidelines – Design
Ever noticed how every image on Amazon listings appears to be uniform? This means that Amazon does not only focus on the technical aspects but also has a defined set of instructions for the design of the product images. Amazon has very strict design guidelines that sellers need to adhere to.
Amazon has several design requirements relating to the primary photo of the product image. This is because this image will appear as the first image for the product as well as the thumbnail for the product listing in every Amazon search.
Image Design Guidelines
The following image design guidelines pertain to the primary listing image:
- The main product image must be a cover art or a professional photograph taken of the original product being sold. In the case of cover art, must ensure that it is acceptable in files, digital books, etc. Illustrations or drawings of the product are not accepted.
- While selecting the product image, please make sure that the image is professionally lit and in focus.
- The color scheme of the product should have realistic colors and match the product actually being sold.
- Avoid including additional objects in the image i.e., the image must only contain the main product so that the shoppers do not get confused.
- Keep in mind that the image should be such that the product covers more than 85% of the image frame with limited whitespace background.
- The background of the product image needs to be pure white i.e., the color wheel should have RGB 255, 255, 255.
- The product should be fully visible in the image frame.
- Avoid using unnecessary text or graphics in the image.
- The image should contain smooth edges and jagged edges should be avoided.
- Featuring designs or watermarks on the images is prohibited.
Alternative Requirements for Product Images
The alternative requirements relate to the other view photos (A.K.A. the pictures that you see other than the thumbnail) that provide additional information about the product.
- No racist, pornographic, or such offensive images are allowed (it is quite obvious that this applies to every product listing on Amazon).
- The image must either be of the product or pertains to the product being sold.
- The image needs to be professionally lit, in-focus, and have realistic colors.
- Other objects or products are also permitted in this part, however, there is a prerequisite that these products should help scale or demonstrate the use of the product.
- Amazon allows sellers to add close-up images for the related listing.
- Sellers can select a background for the product listing or can add any graphic related to the listing.
Amazon Product Images – Best Practices
The Amazon marketplace has become very competitive in recent years. If you want to sell and survive in this hyper-sensitive market, you need to adapt to certain ways to use your images and gain an edge over your rivals. Here is how you can do it:
Ensure Images are Large Enough So They can be Zoomed
Images on Amazon product listings cannot be zoomed in unless they are big enough in size. As a reasonable seller, you would want your shoppers to be able to have an up-close view of the product to help them make informed decisions.
As opposed to general perception, the product image does not necessarily need to be 3000 pixels in order to obtain the zoom effect; images with 1000 pixels can be zoomed as well while it is good to upload images with 2500 pixels.
Add Multiple Images
Amazon gives sellers an option to add several images of their products in the listing or even add variations to existing listings. Sellers must use this to their advantage as it allows them to showcase their products in a more effective manner.
Keep in mind that the pictures should be self-explanatory and should cover every aspect of the product. Adding multiple images to your listing gives you the chance to give a comprehensive overview of your product by featuring it from different angles.
One thing to remember is that you can also add graphics, text, or videos to your listing to establish context for the customer and provide them with relevant information. Sellers can even offer additional information to customers such as product descriptions, etc., to help customers make informed decisions.
Show Product In Use
Featuring products being used is a good and effective method to let your customers understand the product. It shows them how good the product is and what utility they can derive from using that product. It also attracts and engages them to make their purchase decision.
The number of Amazon sellers has exceeded 2.4 million as per reliable estimates. The competition is cutthroat and it is very difficult for individual sellers to outsmart their rivals.
Tips to Optimize Amazon Product Images
Now that we are discussing optimizing Amazon product images, it is crucial to consider the context as well. Amazon product images are visible on the main product page of your listing, they also show up in Amazon searches. Following are some of the crucial tips for optimizing your product images:
1. Follow Technical Image Requirements
While setting up new Amazon listings, you have to meet the Amazon image guidelines along with the related technical requirements. Otherwise, your listings as well as your images will be rejected by Amazon. This means that technical requirements are a must even if you have the best product images. The table below provides a short summary of the image requirements by Amazon.
2. Assign Image Priority
Amazon allows sellers to add one main product image and up to 8 additional images featuring different angles or the description of your product. However, it is up to the sellers to assign priority to the product image. Since the first impression is the last impression, sellers should choose that product photo as the main image that is the most engaging and highlights all features of the product. By doing this, sellers will be able to showcase their product in such a way that sellers would get the best view of the product helping them make informed purchase decisions.
3. Adhere to Amazon Image Quality Standards
Using high-quality photos for the SKU images (both main and child) is particularly important for increasing the number of clicks and also for a higher sales conversion rate. They are also part of Amazon’s non-technical standards. The product image requirements as set out by Amazon are:
- Use Real Photos
The product image used must be an actual product photo. Amazon will not accept drawings, illustrations, and vectors as well as other GIFs, text overlays, or graphics. However, a still GIF is acceptable as per Amazon guidelines.
- Keep it Simple
Sellers must keep in mind that the image must focus on the main product and should not contain any distracting objects that confuse potential buyers. Amazon requires sellers to remove these from the product images.
- Ensure High-Quality
As an Amazon seller, you must ensure the Amazon product picture should have a high resolution. The images used with the product listing should be well-lit and sharp as it will make them look more realistic. Also, pay special attention to how the colors are in the listing image.
- Be Appropriate
Amazon has very strict policy guidelines regarding what sellers post on their product listings. Amazon guidelines prohibit any form of offensive or pornographic messages, or any such thing in product listings, images, etc. Sellers are advised to remove even the slightest risqué and comply with Amazon’s product listing guidelines.
4. Offer Level Images
When selling refurbished or used products, Amazon also allows “Listing Photo” or “Offer Level” images on your product listing. The image is displayed on the offer listing page which allows customers to compare the difference between prices easily. To add Offer Level images, go to your Amazon Common Template, and navigate to “Main Offer Image” and “Offer Images”.
5. Use Multiple Product Images
Amazon allows sellers to use multiple images for their product listings. Sellers should use this to their advantage and take images of the product from all angles giving customers a better understanding of their product. By using multiple images, you cover the product from all perspectives. Failing to showcase your product properly can cost you a potential buyer.
6. Keep the Frame in Mind
Sellers must be vigilant and careful while selecting the images they upload. It is very common that they lose sight of the entire frame while focusing mainly on the image itself. Be sure to avoid cutting off any side or corners of the subject.
7. Provide Important Information
Just adding images to your listing is not sufficient. Sellers need to also incorporate product information using Amazon product images. This can be done by creating a graphic rendering of the technology used, the product features, or the setup guide (if required).
No doubt, Amazon has a ton of image requirements that sellers need to adhere to. But sellers need to realize that it is eventually in their favor. Also, there is a lot of flexibility in how the products are presented to the customers, so the sellers must utilize this opportunity and gain an advantage while abiding by all Amazon guidelines. There is no limit to creativity and you can always add new things to make your listing more engaging and attractive for the customers.
An effective method to critically analyze your product listing is to view your listing as a customer and try to highlight the areas that need further improvement. This would not only improve your listing but also make your customers confident in their purchases.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best resolution for Amazon images?
The best photo size or image resolution is 2000 x 2000 pixels. This dimension is the best for the 1:1 aspect ratio.
What image format does Amazon support for product listings?
Amazon allows JPEG (.jpg), GIF (.gif), PNG (.png), and TIFF (.tif).
Do Amazon images need to be square?
The aspect ratio set out in Amazon guidelines is 1:1 therefore this would be a square image always.
Can I add PNG to Amazon?
Yes, you can add images in PNG format to your product listings.
Feel free to consult XpertVA’s professionals for efficient Amazon Listing Services to boost your ranking and improve sales revenue. Book a consultation with our skilled professionals and grow your business.
Book Consultation Now