Amazon sellers have the option to add variations and merge two or more listings into one. This is mostly done in the case of parent-child listings where all the child listings are under the single parent listing.
This is an effective tool used by sellers to boost their visibility and listing ranking, however, they should not abuse it. Abusing this facility can lead to suspension of listing which may turn into further problems in the future.
Many times, sellers may wish to remove a child listing from the parent. This may be due to any reason, the child listing is added wrongly, or they may wish to unlink the child ASIN from that of the parent.
The article below will discuss the proper method to remove a child ASIN from the parent.
How to Remove Child ASIN from Parent
To remove a child ASIN from a parent, follow the following steps:
- If you wish to remove a child ASIN from that of the parent, go to your Seller Central profile.
- Click on the “Manage Inventory” button from the “Inventory” tab’s drop-down menu.
- Now click “Edit” on the right side of the parent’s ASIN. Be sure that you click on the parent ASIN and not on the child ASIN that you wish to remove.
- Go to the next page. Find the “Variations” tab of your selected listing and scroll down to the table showing the variations.
- Now, click on the box on the left-hand side of the ASIN(s) that you wish to remove from the parent. Click the “Delete Selected” button on top of the table of variations.
- Once have completed all the above-mentioned steps, the child ASIN will be removed from the Parent ASIN as well as from your inventory.
- If you wish to have the child ASIN as your standalone product you would have to add this again. This means that you would now need to add your child ASIN as you would add a new product on Amazon.
- Keep in mind to hit the “Save and Finish” button located at the bottom of the page at the page to apply the new settings.
Removing Child ASIN Using Template
If, however, you wish to remove the child ASIN from the parent ASIN and not from your inventory, you would need to do this via a Template. To remove the child ASIN using a template in Amazon Seller Central, perform the following steps:
- To remove the child ASIN only as a variation and not from your inventory altogether, use the template in your Amazon Seller Central.
- In your Seller Central, go to “Add a Product” from the “Inventory” tab’s drop-down menu located at the top.
- Click the link that says “Download an Inventory File” and a new page will open.
- On the new page, scroll down and find “Inventory Files” and click the link that says “Category-Specific Inventory Files”.
- A new pop-up window opens in the “Choose a File Template” section.
- Click the link stating “Template for Specific Categories”. Next, find the relevant category relating to the child ASIN you wish to remove from the parent.
- Be sure to fill out all the information for the parent ASIN as well as all the information concerning the child ASIN that you wish to keep. Also, mention the ASIN you wish to remove as a variation.
- Remember that you must leave all the variation fields blank for the child ASIN you wish to remove but everything else must be filled properly.
- Next, click “Partial Update” from the drop-down menu found under the “Update Delete” field on this sheet. This will update the listing while keeping the variation information saved.
- However, if you select “Update” instead of “Partial Update” from the “Update Delete” drop-down menu, it would lead to the removal of the variation as well as the child ASIN from the variation family.
In the “Update” option, failure to fill out all the information would lead to an ASIN listing with blank fields. Therefore, you must fill all the fields except for the variation fields only for the ASIN you want to remove for the variation family.
Remember that all the child ASINs you want to keep in the parent-child variation along with the parent ASIN should have the “Partial Update” option selected under the “Update Delete” drop-down menu.
You must save the file with the “.txt” extension before you upload it under the tab “Check and Upload Your Inventory File” found on the “Add Products via Upload” page.
Merging two or more listings can help sellers to improve their sales. Adding variations also helps sellers to outsmart the competition, however, one should be careful when merging two or more listings as it may cause problems.
Removing a child ASIN from the parent is a technical step and sellers should exercise precautions to do this properly. Before removing the child ASIN, consider whether you wish to keep the child ASIN in your inventory or delete it altogether. If handled properly, Amazon is one of the fastest-growing platforms that can help sellers sell their products globally and generate revenues.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I remove child variation from the parent listing?
Go to the variation tab in the parent SKU and click on delink SKU. Choose the icon and press save to unlink the child ASIN from the parent.
How do I remove an ASIN from Amazon?
To delete an Amazon listing, follow these steps:
1. Go to the inventory tab and press “Manage Inventory”
2. Find the SKU that you want to remove and click “Edit” from the drop-down menu.
3. Finally, select the listing and press delete.
How do I transfer ownership of ASIN?
ASINs are unique to each product and cannot be transferred.
What is ASIN hijacking?
When an unauthorized seller uploads a counterfeit product on the platform this is ASIN hijacking.
Feel free to consult XpertVA’s professionals for efficient Amazon Listing Services to boost your ranking and improve sales revenue. Book a consultation with our skilled professionals and grow your business.
Book Consultation Now